Greetings and Happy 2023 Library History Roundtable!
We’re pleased to invite you to the next LHRT Reads event and to announce the selections for LHRT Reads 2023.
Feb 16, 2023
The next LHRT Reads will take place Feb 16, 2023 at 7pm Eastern Time. We’ll discuss Alain Resnais’ 1956 documentary, Toute la Mémoire du Monde. The film explores the Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris and how humanity remembers itself. The documentary is available to watch online. Please watch the film in advance and bring a few questions.
Advance registration is required, please click on this link to register for our February 16th event.
The selections for LHRT Reads 2023 are:
- Toute la mémoire du monde by Alain Resnais – Feb 16, 2023
- Apostles of Culture: The Public Librarian and American Society, 1876-1920 by Dee Garrison – May 18, 2023
- The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession by Allison Hoover Bartlett – Aug 24, 2023
- American Public School Librarianship: A History by Wayne A. Wiegand – Oct 26, 2023
- Index, A History of the: A Bookish Adventure from Medieval Manuscripts to the Digital Age by Dennis Duncan – December 14, 2023
We hope that you can join us. Happy reading!
We are looking forward to seeing you at our next LHRT Reads book discussion. For the month of October, we are discussing Syria’s Secret Library: Reading and Redemption in a Town Under Siege. We are meeting on Thursday, October 20th, at 7:00 p.m. Eastern time.
Register in advance for this meeting:
Please read Syria’s Secret Library: Reading and Redemption in a Town Under Siege before our meeting. Bring at least one question you’d like to discuss with other group members.
We’ll begin at 7 p.m. sharp, Eastern time. Depending on the number of attendees, we may assign everyone to a breakout room. We have plenty of discussion questions for a thought-provoking conversation.
If you’ve never participated in a book discussion, you might want to read these tips: https://ilovelibraries.org/for-book-lovers/bookclubs/. Also, please be aware that all LHRT events, including LHRT Reads, adhere to ALA’s Statement on Appropriate Conduct, https://www.ala.org/conferencesevents/statement_appropriate_conduct . We expect a lively discussion, but let’s keep it kind.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Amanda Belantara (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Michele Fenton (email@example.com).