This page features links to physical and virtual exhibits that showcase the history of libraries.
“A fairy godmother with the most wonderful gifts”: Margaret Chase Behrend’s remarkable donation to Clemson’s library
Link to Virtual Exhibit: https://spark.adobe.com/page/F6n1burMKi22E/
Curator Bio: Sue Giaimo Hiott has a BA in American Studies from Dickinson College and a MA in Applied History and MLIS from the University of South Carolina. She worked at the South Carolina State Museum and Tennessee State Museum before joining Clemson University Libraries in 1990 as Curator of Exhibits in the Special Collections and Archives unit. In addition to creating physical and virtual exhibits, she enjoys working with historical photographs and posting highlights from the collections on social media. This virtual exhibit is adapted from a 2012 physical exhibit she created for the Special Collections exhibit area.
Description from the Curator: From the late 1930s to the 1970s, Margaret Chase Behrend donated the papers of her late husband, engineer Bernard A. Behrend, and more than 3,000 books, as well as magazines and pamphlets to Clemson’s library. The donation included numerous classic and significant works in the history of science and mathematics, as well as needed resources to support the college’s growing curriculum in literature and the arts. Behrend’s donation was a remarkable and unexpected gift to what was then a small, rural, state-supported school with limited resources.
Serving Students: A History of Milner’s Library
Link to Virtual Exhibit: https://ir.library.illinoisstate.edu/servingstudents/
Curator Bio: Angela Bonnell has a MS in History from Illinois State University and a MLIS from the University of Wisconsin at Madison. She has worked at Illinois State University’s Milner Library since 1998 as the Head of Government Documents. Prior to that she worked in the libraries at the Wisconsin Historical Society and Beloit College. She loves helping patrons use government documents and primary source materials in their research! She also enjoys facilitating the Library’s Exhibits Committee that continues Ange. V. Milner’s tradition of highlighting student work and library materials. This virtual exhibit is adapted from a 2018 physical exhibit Bonnell created for Milner Library.
Description from the Curator: Illinois State University has known five libraries since it was founded in 1857. From its humble origins in a 160-square foot space carved out from an entryway, to its current six-floor site, each library has offered improvements over its predecessor. Today’s Milner Library owes its student-centered philosophy to the University’s first fulltime librarian, Ange. V. Milner. Over the course of her nearly 40-year career, Milner created a library integrated into the curriculum and research needs of the University. This exhibit offers a glimpse into Milner’s forward-thinking initiatives that laid the foundation for today’s library named in her honor.
Caption: The three color photos show some of the panels as they were displayed during the physical exhibit in Milner Library. The black and white photo (The Index, 1932) shows the library at Illinois State Normal University in about 1898 on the second floor of the building now known as Cook Hall, then referred to as the Gymnasium. Ange. V. Milner, the University’s first fulltime librarian stands at the right.
The Essex Library Association: A Brief History & Ex Libris: Essex Library News through the Decades
Link to Virtual Exhibits: https://ela2019archiving.omeka.net/exhibits
Curator Bio: Deborah Smith has a B.A. in cultural anthropology from Oberlin College, an M.A. from New York University, and an M.L.I.S. from Kent State University. She is certified by the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media program for public librarians, Creating Local Linkages. Since 2019 she has served as Executive Director of Essex Library Association, the principal public library for the 6,500 residents of Essex, Connecticut. In 2020 the library’s reference team launched a digital archive using Omeka. The archive (ELAted:Curated!) currently contains two collections on the library’s history and communications. In 2021, the library joined Archive-It’s Community Webs project to curate web-published community history materials.
Description from the Curator: Most of the public libraries in Connecticut were started in the late nineteenth century by groups of civic minded individuals. Essex Library Association began as a collection of 500 donated books in 1889. For the first few decades of its existence the Library was open to members only, who paid $1.00 per year. Today, library operations are partly funded by the Town of Essex, with additional support provided from an endowment and an annual appeal.
“Essex Library Association: A Brief History” shares historical photographs and documents from 1889 to the present. “Ex Libris: Essex Library News through the Decades” currently contains 54 of the library’s newsletters, dating from 1978 to 2020.