Special thanks to Dr. Andrew B. Wertheimer for sending the blog several photos of the ALA Council meeting to apologize for segregated libraries and the Hidden Figures in American Library History: The Desegregation of Public Libraries in the Jim Crow South program at the New Orleans Public Library.
Also check out the news coverage of these events through the links below.
If you have additional photos or news links, please send them on (firstname.lastname@example.org).
ALA Council Unanimously Passes Resolution Apologizing for Segregated Libraries
- ALA Honors African Americans Who Fought Library Segregation (American Libraries)
- ALA Apologizes for Silence on Segregated Libraries Issue (Birmingham Public Library Blog)
Hidden Figures in American Library History: The Desegregation of Public Libraries in the Jim Crow South (New Orleans, LA)
· Desegregating Public Libraries: The untold stories of civil rights heroes in the Jim Crow South (American Libraries)
· Interview with Wayne Wiegand and Silas House (New Orleans Public Radio)
· Freedom Readers: Libraries were an early, strategic target in the battle for civil rights (New Orleans Advocate)