Hi friends —
Amanda Belantara, Michele Fenton, and I are excited to announce the 2022 picks for LHRT’s book discussion series, LHRT Reads! This year, February’s title honors African American History Month by focusing on E.J. Josey, a crucial changemaker in our profession. Also, in response to attendee feedback, we’ve added a historical fiction selection, Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray’s The Personal Librarian.
- February 24th: Renate Chancellor, E.J. Josey: Transformational Leader of the Modern Library Profession
- April 14th: Alice Crawford, The Meaning of the Library, a Cultural History
- June: No LHRT Reads — please attend LHRT’s ALA conference programs instead!
- August 18th: Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray, The Personal Librarian
- October 20th: Mike Thomson, Syria’s Secret Library: Reading and Redemption in a Town Under Seige
- December 15th: Susan Orlean, The Library Book
All the discussions will take place on Thursday nights, starting at 7:00 p.m. Eastern time, via Zoom. Registration is required for each event, so please watch your e-mail and ALA Connect for further communications. To register for E. J. Josey on February 24th, go to our registration form. Registration is free and you do not need to be an ALA or LHRT member to participate. All attendees, however, are expected to adhere to ALA’s Online Code of Conduct.
Looking forward to seeing you at the next LHRT Reads!
Bernadette 🙂(and Amanda and Michele)
Bernadette A. Lear (she/her/hers/Ms.)
Behavioral Sciences and Education Librarian, Harrisburg
Affiliate Faculty, Education Library and Pennsylvania Center for the Book, University ParkBAL19@psu.edu – 717-948-6360
Author of Made Free and Thrown Open to the Public: Community Libraries in Pennsylvania from the Colonial Era through World War IIhttps://upittpress.org/books/9780822947004/
Co-Editor of Libraries: Culture, History, and Society
Administrator of the Literary and Cultural Heritage Maps of Pennsylvania Projecthttps://www.pabook.libraries.psu.edu/literary-cultural-heritage-maps-pa